Mojo
Topic Options
#775211 - 21/04/17 07:07 AM ... and speaking of Queen...
Mean Mister Mustard Offline

I only ever seem to encounter 2 types of opinions about this band:

either "one of the best bands ever"

or "hugely overrated".

What side of the fence are you on?

#775220 - 21/04/17 09:14 AM Re: ... and speaking of Queen... [Re: Mean Mister Mustard]
fuzzy Offline

Somewhere in between.... whistle

There were a great 'first favourite band' for me when I was a kid, pompous and exaggerated and melodramatic, with every song 'strong' and different in sound and mood from every other song (which I still really credit them for. Every other band I've come to love since have songs which blur each into each other.)

I don't listen to them much now but occasionally, selectively, Spotify bits up from to and including the 'Flash Gordon' soundtrack; as an adult listener, they go downhill both far and fast for me around 'Radio Ga Ga', though their last few singles rose up again.

They had four good song writers, (John Deacon esp underrated in this regard), and, naff as he seems, a one-off great guitarist, whose playing really could communicate a lot of feeling as well as developing a sound (and guitar) all of his own.

#775222 - 21/04/17 09:19 AM Re: ... and speaking of Queen... [Re: Mean Mister Mustard]
TheReverendJohn Offline
Preachin' the word!

My brother was a big fan so I heard a lot of it when I was younger and got to be choosy about what I liked.
Sheer Heart Attack, News of the World and Jazz are the only ones I ever bought and am happy with that.
I was always partial to Taylor's Fun in Space album too.

#775224 - 21/04/17 09:40 AM Re: ... and speaking of Queen... [Re: Mean Mister Mustard]
fuzzy Offline

Originally Posted By: TheReverendJohn
Sheer Heart Attack, News of the World and Jazz are the only ones I ever bought and am happy with that.

Probably the ones I'd still enjoy nowadays too, though I'd also throw in Queen 2. Would've thought that might be one for you, too, no, Rev?

I was always partial to Taylor's Fun in Space album too.

And me.

#775228 - 21/04/17 12:04 PM Re: ... and speaking of Queen... [Re: Mean Mister Mustard]
Cdub Offline

Loc: Shropshire
Got on well with them first few albums, but that Bohemian bloody single destroyed it for me. Worst sing!e ever? It is for me. Now their music seems to be filler for unimaginative radio programmers.

#775234 - 21/04/17 03:03 PM Re: ... and speaking of Queen... [Re: Mean Mister Mustard]
Mystic Mutt Offline

To be frank, One of those bands that were a closed book to me because of the naffness of their fans, especially the odd, but very widespread, inability to reconcile themselves with Mercury's blatant homosexuality, (or still less to admit to the idea that might be part of the appeal) They were one of those bands that very unhip people thought were hip - the pomposity and melodrama Fuzzy refers to being taken as depth, I think. In my less judgemental years I have dipped a toe in, but I've only ever liked the atypical pop stuff - Crazy Little Thing Called Love, I Want To Break Free, Another One Bites The Dust. Even then not much.

#775238 - 21/04/17 05:35 PM Re: ... and speaking of Queen... [Re: Mystic Mutt]
fuzzy Offline

Originally Posted By: Mystic Mutt
the pomposity and melodrama Fuzzy refers to being taken as depth, I think.

I don't think I ever considered Queen to be hip or deep, even in my 13, 14 years old peak of fandom, but I do think, as with Led Zep's bollocks about Valhalla and the dark depths of Mordor, or Iron Maiden's Hammer House of Horror stuff, it's 'silly' and crass but somehow brilliantly efficacious for letting strong internal feelings out, especially when you're young enough to be free of notions/worries about Good Taste. (Personally, I still don't have much time for fun-free 'good art'.) Some of us here have had punk do the same thing for them, for me it was (sometimes hard) rock, maybe depends on timing? geography? class? peer group? older siblings' tastes?

re Freddie Mercury's gaynesss - I went to loads of Queen concerts and to be honest, I don't think that many of that crowd would have been that surprised or upset when he finally did come out. (Apart from the 'I'm dying' bit of it.) I always found 'boring' classic rock audiences to be far warmer and friendlier, a generally nicer bunch en masse, than young, hip 'indie' crowds.

Edited by fuzzy (21/04/17 06:21 PM)

#775239 - 21/04/17 05:55 PM Re: ... and speaking of Queen... [Re: Mean Mister Mustard]
gottenbold Online   content

Loc: Hudds, West Coast Riding
Used to play the hell out of the "Greatest Hits" collection when I was a teenager.

I don't know the studio albums, apart from "News of the World", which I still listen to regularly, and "Flash Gordon", which had some exqusite synths on it.

The bad news is they're dead.

#775243 - 21/04/17 08:41 PM Re: ... and speaking of Queen... [Re: fuzzy]
TheReverendJohn Offline
Preachin' the word!

Originally Posted By: fuzzy

Probably the ones I'd still enjoy nowadays too, though I'd also throw in Queen 2. Would've thought that might be one for you, too, no, Rev?

Next on the list but never got round to buying a copy.

#775259 - 22/04/17 02:35 AM Re: ... and speaking of Queen... [Re: Mean Mister Mustard]
mpecucci Offline
STELLA!!!

Loc: Chicago,Illinois,USA
Mostly I dig the stuff Freddy wrote,and Freddy in general...one-off,that guy...

Somebody To Love
Killer Queen
Good Old Fashioned Loved Boy
Crazy Little Thing Called Love
Radio GA Ga

Etc...

#775261 - 22/04/17 06:47 AM Re: ... and speaking of Queen... [Re: Mean Mister Mustard]
fuzzy Offline

'Radio Ga Ga' was actually one of Roger Taylor's, Mike.

I was going to pick the first two on your list, though, to counter Gottenbold's proposal of 'Bo Rhap' for the 'Most Famous Song Also Their Best Song' thread.

#775292 - 23/04/17 05:56 PM Re: ... and speaking of Queen... [Re: Mean Mister Mustard]
mpecucci Offline
STELLA!!!

Loc: Chicago,Illinois,USA
Wow,Radio GA Ga had "Freddy" written all over it!...mea culpa!!

Probably my fave song not written by Freddie is "You're My Best Friend" by Deacon....

Moderator:  Andrew_Male, deesylad, dlgladwin, fuzzy