Topic Options
#717290 - 15/07/13 09:01 AM Terry Farley presents Acid Rain
dlgladwin Offline
I bend all over the place

Loc: Beverley, East Yorkshire, UK
Anybody else got their eye on this?

Press release:

-----

It was 25 years ago in 1988 when the Acid House sound created a musical revolution in the UK following the success of London’s Shoom and Hedonism, whilst, at the same time, Manchester was kick starting the movement in the North of England with the Hacienda’s Hot and Nude nights. Acid House continued its corrosive effect on the late 80’s party crowd with new clubs opening up almost every month throughout 1988 – R.I.P., Spectrum, Zoo, The Trip, Apocalypse Now, Legends, the State, Rage, Sunrise to name a few.

By the summer of 1988 aka ‘the second summer of love’, Acid House was something of a national sensation in the UK with the political establishment seeing the movement as a threat to law and order and the tabloid press vilifying the movement and its main symbol, the smiley face.

But what exactly was Acid House? Internationally renowned DJ and House expert, Terry Farley has painstakingly compiled 5 CD’s which trace the movement’s beginnings and the incredible 6 years when this underground music from Chicago dominated the UK dance floors and spread throughout the world. To accompany this furious aural assault is a 32 page booklet written and curated by Miles Simpson, founder of the influential House Music blog, ‘Beyond the Stars’, interrogator of legendary DJ’s and all-round House expert. Plus, of course, pages of scans, flyers and key photos from the period from the Terry Farley archives.

The repercussions of the original movement are still being felt today, with a new generation of House Music DJ’s and Clubs taking their cues from the original Acid House sound, which is currently enjoying something of a cultural renaissance via the current European/UK Deep House and Techno scenes with a new generation of DJ’s both playing and making music from this incredibly innovative period with direct influences from many of the actual Chicago classics featured within this box set. Most of the original producers of these Acid and Deep classics are also now once again in big demand with names like Frankie Knuckles, Gene Hunt, Bam Bam, DJ Pierre, Jaimie Principle, Virgo 4, Marshall Jefferson and Derrick May among others, headlining gigs in London, New York, Berlin and Ibiza. Additionally a whole new generation of today’s major DJ’s are using the influences of early Acid and Deep House including, D.J. T, Kink and Jamie Jones among many others. The sound of ‘85/’91 never went away but is now massive again with a new generation of young club goers and young producers. Here is the source!

‘Acid Rain: Definitive Original Acid & Deep House 1985-1991’ is the ultimate must-have collection for anyone who is serious about their House Music history and the influences this genre has had over the subsequent 25 years.

-----

Somewhat baffled Guardian review by Alex Petridis:

-----

In his sleevenotes to Acid Rain, the DJ and producer Terry Farley makes some pretty grand claims for the music contained on its five CDs. He compares its importance to that of Chuck Berry or Miles Davis and John Coltrane: it has "resonated across the decades" and continues to exert such a vast influence today that it's hard to imagine what music in 2013 would sound like had it not existed. There are those who would doubtless scoff at this kind of thing, but equally, there are those who would tell you that counts as underselling its impact. Some people will swear blind that – in Britain, at least – acid house and the culture it inadvertently inspired actually led to lasting social changes, affecting everything from how offices are designed to how late the pubs stay open; had breweries not been so horrified by the number of people eschewing alcohol for ecstasy in the 90s, they wouldn't have lobbied so hard for a change in licensing laws.

One thing is certain: the music on Acid Rain was audibly not made to last. Most of the tracks here had to be remastered from vinyl. At the exact point in the 1980s when the music industry began thinking seriously about curating rock and pop history, because it realised there was money to be made from memories – the era when painstakingly compiled, carefully annotated CD box sets like this one first started appearing – record labels in Chicago didn't keep the master tapes of their local producers' work, because the idea that anyone in the future would be interested seemed laughable. To say that the people who made it had ambitions that extended no further than the city limits might even be stretching it; some of them had ambitions that extended no further than one of the city's clubs. Powered by the hypnotic alien chatter of an overdriven Roland TB-303 bass synthesiser, acid house's relentless, churning repetition often seemed like a concerted effort to capture the hedonistic abandon of the Muzic Box on Michigan Avenue: the first acid house single of all, Phuture's Acid Tracks, was so associated with the club and its legendary resident DJ that it was initially known as Ron Hardy's Acid Track. In fact, Hardy had already attempted to capture the drugged madness of the Muzic Box. Acid Rain contains his 1985 single Sensation – so brutal, minimal and utilitarian it makes your average early acid track sound like the height of complexity. It didn't have the weird futuristic quality of the 303-driven tracks that followed, but you can almost smell the perspiration and the smoke as it plays.

It's intended as no slight to his rival Chicago DJ Frankie Knuckles (for whose club, The Warehouse, house music was originally named, and whom you can hear on Acid Rain inching towards its sound on a previously unreleased 1984 version of Bad Boy, a weird, gay, black take on European synthpop) to say that Hardy's shadow looms largest over the music on this box set. Frankie Knuckles was big on house music's spirituality: though he was capable of making music as luxuriantly filthy as his other contribution to Acid Rain, Baby Wants To Ride (simultaneously a fantastic record, and not so much a song as a man loudly drawing attention to his erection for eight and a half minutes), more often something of the gospel tradition and the godfearing midwest seeped into his grooves, as on Your Love and Tears.

As perhaps was to be expected from music born out of a shocking bacchanal, presided over by a heroin addict whom even his biggest fans concede was a bit of a horror ("Everybody hated Ron Hardy, he was mean and nasty," recalled producer Marshall Jefferson, represented here by Virgo 4's R U Hot Enough and Sleezy D's I've Lost Control, "but he was the greatest DJ that ever lived"), acid house was fuelled by a noticeably darker energy. You wouldn't describe the sound of a track like Dr Derelict's That Shit's Wild as funky so much as writhing. There's nothing uplifting about the music Jefferson came up with on I've Lost Control: instead, it feels hypnotic, obsessive, deranged. If you didn't know that this was music that came to be inexorably associated with the euphoria of ecstasy, that soundtracked something called the Second Summer of Love, you'd never guess. You listen to Bam Bam's astonishing Where's Your Child? and wonder how bewildering and terrifying it must have sounded to a parent who caught it spilling out of their kid's bedroom at the height of the UK's moral panic about acid-house raves and ecstasy: a voice slowed down until it sounds demonic, delivering a kind of public-information film voiceover – "Don't let your kid out late at night, they don't know wrong from right" – punctuated with cackling laughter and the sampled screams of a baby.

It was supposed to be parochial, intended to evoke something local and unique. As it turned out, the makers of acid house had hit on something universal and timeless. No music before or since has better captured the sweaty, blank-eyed intensity of being lost on a dancefloor in the small hours: you didn't have to be in the Muzic Box, surrounded by people so maddened by drugs and the sheer volume at which Hardy played that they would cry or faint or start having it off with each other, to know that weird, simultaneously elated and faintly troubling otherworldly feeling. It's one of the reasons why the music on Acid Rain doesn't really feel dated, despite being packed with sounds that were the cutting edge 25 or 30 years ago: stuttering n-n-n-n-nineteen vocals; harsh sampled orchestral stabs; drum machines that sound like machines, technology having not yet worked out how to make them sound like drums. There's something shocking about the fact that Laurent X's Machines dates from the same year as Bros's When Will I Be Famous? and Hue and Cry's Looking For Linda: it sounds like it could have been released yesterday.

Acid house, at least as defined by this box set, could communicate more than the feeling of temporarily losing your mind in front of the big speakers at 3am. At the end of Acid Rain comes another Jefferson production, Jungle Wonz's Time Marches On. It seems wistful and heartbreaking today, a kind of eulogy for a moment in time long passed. But that wasn't how it would have sounded 25 years ago. Then, its lyrics – "Nothing stays the same, there's always change" – must have seemed a defiant statement of belief that the future belonged to house music, an equivalent of one of those ancient singles that bullishly predict rock'n'roll's longevity. And like those records, its predictions proved to be exactly right.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/jul/11/acid-rain-definitive-original-review

-----

Interesting comments, as ever, on the Guardian story.

You might also like to play the samples at Amazon whilst you read that lot, and see if you can resist clicking to Pre-Order the 5CD set for £17.07.

#717363 - 15/07/13 04:39 PM Re: Terry Farley presents Acid Rain [Re: dlgladwin]
Shooby Taylor Offline
La Nueva Mostaza

Loc: yorkshire
Love a bit of aciiiied but I tend to prefer hearing it in a mix on the whole, looks like a good comp though, they should do a similar collection for old hip-house stuff too.

I like the two tracks someone dropped in the guardian comments at the end.

especially this one Kettle - wombat

#718114 - 18/07/13 01:22 PM Re: Terry Farley presents Acid Rain [Re: Shooby Taylor]
dlgladwin Offline

Release date now put back to 12 August.

#718117 - 18/07/13 01:32 PM Re: Terry Farley presents Acid Rain [Re: dlgladwin]
gottenbold Offline
thinks kasabian are sexy

Loc: Hudds, West Coast Riding
5 discs of this could be too much for me. It's a shame there's not a double disc version coming out.

Freewheeling Sophisticated Gentle Intimate Smooth Laid-Back/Mellow Restrained Elegant Refined Reserved Relaxed Soothing Stylish

#718136 - 18/07/13 02:17 PM Re: Terry Farley presents Acid Rain [Re: gottenbold]
Mr. Kite Offline

Loc: Dublin
Originally Posted By: gottenbold
5 discs of this could be too much for me. It's a shame there's not a double disc version coming out.

I was thinking the same. Mind you it's listed as
£17.07 today on Amazon which is very reasonable for a 5 disc set.

#718147 - 18/07/13 02:34 PM Re: Terry Farley presents Acid Rain [Re: Mr. Kite]
dlgladwin Offline

...and it might well replace a couple of older compilations I've been keeping for one or two tunes. Mind you, I say that far more often than I throw anything out.

#721165 - 14/08/13 10:05 AM Re: Terry Farley presents Acid Rain [Re: dlgladwin]
dlgladwin Offline

I'm drinking down the Acid Rain thirstily, but there's an outside chance that the following box might be too much even for me...

-----

Traxbox - The Trax Records Box Set - The First 75 Complete Trax 12" Releases

Trax Records is probably the most important House music label of all time. Created in Chicago in 1984, the independent imprint quickly became the go-to company for anyone who was making House music in Chicago from 1985 onwards.

Originally owned by the larger-than-life Larry Sherman and managed day to day by ‘Screamin’ Rachel Cain, Trax Records officially launched in 1985 with Le Noiz’s “Wanna Dance” and crested the wave of both the House Music and Acid House scenes for the next 5 years with literally dozens and dozens of club hits and dance-floor smashes.

The label was renowned for its almost punk ethic of simply getting the releases out fast and furiously without much in the way of obvious design values or quality control. Their releases were generally pressed on recycled vinyl and housed in recycled card sleeves – in fact, it was not unusual to open the record and see bits of paper pressed into the vinyl and old printing on the inside of the sleeves! However, the operation perfectly suited the ethos of the music, the majority of which was often made on 4 track machines in numerous bedrooms before being tested at Chicago’s No.1 House club, the Warehouse, where the legendary Frankie Knuckles ruled the decks. If the bedroom tape got the thumbs up from Frankie, then usually the aspiring producers would turn up at Trax the next morning and beg to get their productions on vinyl. The deals were probably not great but the lure of holding your own record seemed to override all other considerations. And thus dozens of new careers were hatched. Traxbox is the most important retrospective analysis of Trax Records since the label began. There have been many Trax related compilations in the past, but nothing that even remotely approaches the sheer scale and comprehensive sweep of Traxbox.

Traxbox presents the first 75 Trax Record 12” releases in their entirety – both the A & B sides including ALL the mixes used from Trax TX101 Le Noiz in 1985 to Trax TX175 Virgo Four in 1989 all housed in a beautiful heavyweight 16 x CD purpose-designed wallet together with an 80 page booklet all enshrouded within specially commissioned new artwork from cult artist Aidan Hughes.
All 75 12” releases have been extensively re-mastered and, in some cases, completely re-built in order to get all the original tracks to a decent degree of quality for the first time ever. Each individual 12” has been painstakingly re-mastered by experts, with all the original vinyl copies scrupulously supplied by renowned 12” collector and House music historian, Johnathan Woodliffe, for mastering comparison purposes and, in some cases, to supply the missing links in the Trax catalogue.

Bill Brewster – author of “Last Night A DJ Saved My Life” and co-founder of the world’s foremost DJ forum, DJ History has supplied a comprehensive history of the label and specific write-ups on each individual 12” all of which has been combined with lots of rare scans, photos and archive material from this incredibly influential era.
Forget everything else. Traxbox is the ONLY way to own this revolutionary period of dance music history.
Tracklist for the 16 disc CD set below:

CD 1
01. Wanna Dance? - Le' Noiz
02. Girls Out On The Floor - Jesse Velez
03. I'm Scared - Le' Noiz
04. Jack The Bass - Jack Master Funk/Jack Master Dick
05. Ride The Rhythm (Remix) - Marshall Jefferson
06. Jack The House - Farley Jackmaster Funk
07. Jack'n The Trax - Farley Jackmaster Funk
08. Clap'n The Pella - Farley Jackmaster Funk
09. Virgo Tracks Again – Untitled - Vincent Lawrence
10. Virgo Tracks Again – Untitled - Vincent Lawrence
11. Virgo Tracks Again – Untitled - Vincent Lawrence
12. Virgo Tracks Again – Untitled - Vincent Lawrence
13. Girls out on the Floor - Jesse Velez
15. Fire 121 - Jesse Velez
16. Do It To The Beat - Jesse Velez

CD 2
01. Sensation (Long) - Ron Hardy
02. Sensation (Short) - Ron Hardy
03. My Main Man - Screamin Rachael
04. My Main Man (Vocal) - Screamin Rachael
05. Sensuous Woman Goes Disco - Jackmaster Dick's Revenge
06. No Way Back (Vocal) - Adonis
07. I've Lost Control - Sleezy D.
08. Free Yourself - Virgo
09. Under You - Virgo
10. Dum Dum Part Two - Fresh
11. Give Your Self To Me - Rude Boy Himself Farley Farley Farley

CD 3
01. The House Music Anthem - Move your Body - Marshall Jefferson
02. Dub Your Body - Marshall Jefferson
03. When You Hold Me - Master C & J
04. Thank Ya - Sweet D
05. We're Rocking Down The House - Adonis
06. Ride The Rhythm (Ron Hardy mix) - On the House with Marshall Jefferson
07. What Is House? - Willie Wonka
08. What You Deserve - Radio Fashion
09. Jackin' Me Around (Farm Mix) - Farm Boy
10. Beat Me Till I Jack - Fat Albert
11. Work Me Trax - Santos

CD 4
01. Washing Machine - Mr. Fingers
02. Can You Feel It - Mr. Fingers
03. House Beat Box - Sampson "Butch" Moore
04. The Jungle - Jungle Wonz
05. Hey Rocky! - Boris Badenough
06. Party People Jack Your Body - Liddell Townsell
07. Party People Jack Your Body (House Mix) - Liddell Townsell
08. Party People Jack Your Body (Radio Mix) - Liddell Townsell
09. Bring Down The Walls - Robert Owens
10. Housemaster (12” Mix) - Terry Baldwin
11. Housemaster - Terry Baldwin
12. Move My Body - 2 House People Featuring Cynthia M
13. Time Marches On (Vocal) - Jungle Wonz
14. Give Me Back Love (Club Mix) - On The House
15. Give Me Back Love (Radio Mix) - On The House

CD 5
01. I Can't Forget (Vocal) - Mr. Lee
02. Mystery Girl - Mystery
03. Your Love (Inst Mix) - Eric Bell
04. Come To House - Mr Lee
05. I'll Never Let You Go (Vocal Mix) - William S
06. Acid Tracks - Phuture
07. Can’t Let Go (Radio Dub)- DJ Joey feat Sheba
08. Rock Steady (12" Mix) - Dalis
09. Rock Steady (Edit) - Dalis
10. Children Of The Night (12") - Kevin Irving
11. Children Of The Night (Radio) - Kevin Irving
12. Somewhere In West Hell (12") - Two Of A Kind Featuring James Earl
13. Fuck Charley - Pleasure Zone
14. House Nation - Pleasure Zone

CD 6
01. Dance Doctor (Inst) - Doctor Derilict
02. Don't Stop - Dean Anderson
03. Baby Wants To Ride - Frankie Knuckles
04. It's A Cold World - Frankie Knuckles
05. Lost In The Groove (Vocal) - Marshall Jefferson Presents Hercules -
06. Am A Dog Mixed (Frankie Knuckles Mix) - Dancer
07. Just Stay The Night (12") - Evie
08. Are You Ready (12") - Rich Martinez
09. House This House (Vocal) - Mr. Lee
10. G. T. B. Got The Bug - Pierre's Pfantasy Club
11. Get The Hole - Lidell Townsell
12. Acid Hole - Lidell Townsell .
13. Lets Get Busy - Curtis Mc Claine And On The House
14. Lets Get Busy (Radio Mix) - Curtis Mc Claine And On The House

CD 7
01. Number Nine - Dancer
02. Number Nine (Bedroom Mix) - Dancer
03. Fantasy - Pleasure Zone
04. We Are Phuture - Phuture
05. Pump Up Chicago - Mr. Lee
06. Pump Up Chicago (Acid Mix) - Mr. Lee
07. Knockin At My Door - Donell Rush
08. Knockin At My Door Edit - Donell Rush
09. Cool J Track (RM) - HIT TRAX 111 The House Gang
10. Gotta Big Dick - Maurice Joshua With Hot Hands Hula.
11. Gotta Big Dick (Inst Mix) - Maurice Joshua With Hot Hands Hula
12. Jack The House - Liddell Townsell
13. As Acid Turns - Liddell Townsell
14. The Groove - Liddell Townsell

CD 8
01. Acid Pump Up London - Mr. Lee
02. Pump Up Chicago - Mr. Lee
03. As Always - Farley "Jackmaster Funk" Presents Ricky Dillard
04. As Always - Farley "Jackmaster Funk" Presents Ricky Dillard
05. Respect Rap (Radio Edit) - K. G. B.
06. Respect Rap (Scratch Mix) - K. G. B.
07. Respect Rap (Brads Club Mix)- K. G. B.
08. Power Move - Kool Rock Steady
09. Power Move (Fresh Mix) - Kool Rock Steady
10. Do You Know Who You Are? - Virgo Four
11. In A Vision - Virgo Four

CD 9
01. Certainly - Le' Noiz
02. Girls Out On The Floor Dub - Jesse Velez
03. Get Out - Le' Noiz
04. Jack the Dick - Jack Master Funk /Jack Master Dick
05. Dickapella - Jack Master Funk/Jack Master Dick
06. Ride the Rhythm Remix (Inst) - Marshall Jefferson
07. Oh My God - Farley Jackmaster Funk
08. Farley Knows House - Farley Jackmaster Funk
09. Farley Farley - Farley Jackmaster Funk
10. Virgo Tracks Again - Untitled - Vincent Lawrence
12. Virgo Tracks Again - Untitled - Vincent Lawrence
13. Virgo Tracks Again - Untitled - Vincent Lawrence
14. Virgo Tracks Again - Untitled - Vincent Lawrence
15. We Don't Need No Music - Jesse Velez
16. Laugh The Night Away - Jesse Velez
17. Intro (Do it to the Beat) - Jesse Velez
18. Rocko Laugh - Jesse Velez
19. Sensation (Inst) - Ron Hardy

CD 10
01. My Main Dub - Screamin’ Rachael
02. My Main Beat - Screamin Rachael
03. Sensuous Man Goes Disco - Jackmaster Dick's Revenge
04. No Way Back - Adonis
05. I've Lost Control - Sleezy D
06. My Space - Virgo
07. R U Hot Enough - Virgo
08. Dum Dum Part Two (Inst) - Fresh
09. Give Your House To Me - Rude Boy Himself Farley Farley Farley
10. Drum Your Body - Marshall Jefferson
11. House Your Body - Marshall Jefferson
12. Dub Love - Master C & J

CD 11
01. Do Do It - Sweet D
02. Turn It - Sweet D
03. Dig I Da-Dig I Da - Sweet D
04. W.R.D.T House (Break Down) - Adonis
05. W.R.D.T.House (Inst) - Adonis
06. Ride the Rhythm (Frankie Knuckles Mix) - On the House with Marshall Jefferson
07. It's Now Or Never - Willie Wonka
08. Blow - Willie Wonka
09. What You Deserve (Mistake Mix) - Radio Fashion
10. Jackin' Me Around (House Mix) - Farm Boy
11. Dub Mix - Farm Boy
12. Go Go - Fat Albert
13. Go Go Again - Fat Albert

CD 12
01. Space The Box - Santos
02. Beat The Knuckles - Santos
03. Beyond The Clouds - Mr. Fingers
04. House Beat Box (Inst) - Sampson "Butch" Moore
05. Jungle Mix - Jungle Wonz
06. Hey Rocky (Inst) - Boris Badenough
07. Party People Jack Your Body (Club Mix) - Liddell Townsell
08. Party People Jack Your Body (Inst) - Liddell Townsell
09. Bring Down The Walls (Dub) - Robert Owens
10. Bring Down The Walls (Inst) - Robert Owens
11. Housemaster (Radio Mix) - Terry Baldwin
12. Housemaster (Club Mix) - Terry Baldwin
13. House My Body - 2 House People Featuring Cynthia M
14. Trax My Body - 2 House People Featuring Cynthia M.

CD 13
01. I Can't Forget (Club) - Mr. Lee
02. Mystery Girl (Dub) - Mystery
03. Mystery Girl (Club) - Mystery
04. Your Love (Vocal Mix) - Eric Bell
05. Come Get House (Club) - Mr Lee
06. I'll Never Let You Go (Inst Mix) - William S
07. Phuture Jacks - Phuture
08. Your Only Friend - Phuture
09. Can’t Let Go (Vocal Mix) – DJ Joey feat Sheba
10. Rock Steady (Inst) - Dalis
11. Children Of The Night (Frankie Knuckles Dub Mix) - Kevin Irving
12. Somewhere in West Hell (Inst) - Two Of A Kind Featuring James Earl
13. Jana - Pleasure Zone
14. Hold These Nuts - Pleasure Zone

CD 14
01. Dance Doctor - Doctor Derilict
02. Don't Dub - Dean Anderson
03. Your Love - Frankie Knuckles
04. Bad Boy - Frankie Knuckles
05. Lost In House - Marshall Jefferson Presents Hercules
06. Groove Appella - Marshall Jefferson Presents Hercules
07. Boom - Boom (Frankie Knuckles Mix) - Dancer
08. Just Stay The Night (Radio) - Evie
09. Just Say The Night (Dub) - Evie
10. Are You Ready (Dub) - Rich Martinez
11. Are You Ready (Rub A Dub) - Rich Martinez
12. House This House (Dub) - Mr. Lee

CD 15
01. Got The Bug (Dub) - Pierre's Pfantasy Club
02. Got The Bug (Inst) - Pierre's Pfantasy Club
03. Under Control - Lidell Townsell
04. Dub Control - Lidell Townsell
05. Lets Get Busy (Dub Mix) - Curtis Mc Claine And On The House
06. Stars on Number Nine - Dancer
07. Number Nine (S&F Mix) - Dancer
08. I Can't Understand - Pleasure Zone
09. Slam! - Phuture.
10. Spank-Spank - Phuture
11. Pump Up London - Mr. Lee
12. Pump Up New York - Mr. Lee
13. Knockin At My Door (Dub) - Donell Rush
14. Knockin At My Door (Wall Of Sound Mix) - Donell Rush
15. Hangover Trax - The House Gang
16. Bango Acid - The House Gang

CD 16
01. This Is Acid - Maurice Joshua With Hot Hands Hula
02. Fell The Mood - Maurice Joshua With Hot Hands Hula
03. Jack'N Tall (Inst) - Liddell Townsell
04. Jack'N Tall (Vocal) - Liddell Townsell
05. Art Of Acid - Mr. Lee
06. Feels Good - Mr. Lee
07. As Always (Lovin' House Mix) - Farley "Jackmaster Funk" Presents Ricky Dillard
08. Respect Rap (Extended Version) - K. G. B.
09. Respect Rap (Inst) - K. G. B.
10. I'll Make You Dance - Kool Rock Steady
11. Going Thru Life - Virgo Four
12. Take Me Higher - Virgo Four

-----

I can feel myself weakening, just looking at that. All right, so it's fifty five quid, but that's still under £3.50 a disc.

#721167 - 14/08/13 11:15 AM Re: Terry Farley presents Acid Rain [Re: dlgladwin]
dlgladwin Offline

Just spotted this on the Trax Facebook page, from The Sun in 1988.

The Sun: shit in 1988, still shit now.

#721170 - 14/08/13 02:10 PM Re: Terry Farley presents Acid Rain [Re: dlgladwin]
Shooby Taylor Offline
La Nueva Mostaza

16 discs! that a lot of aciiiiiied!

Love that Sun comic strip

#721171 - 14/08/13 02:45 PM Re: Terry Farley presents Acid Rain [Re: Shooby Taylor]
dlgladwin Offline

Thing is, it's mainly not Acid in the TB-303 sense, but House all the way. I couldn't resist, anyway. My copy should arrive at the same time as the Deluxe Edition of Fairport Convention's Rising for the Moon, as both are released on 26 August. The following weekend should be most enjoyable!

#721172 - 14/08/13 03:01 PM Re: Terry Farley presents Acid Rain [Re: dlgladwin]
Shooby Taylor Offline
La Nueva Mostaza

You were weakening at 10am and by quarter to 3 you'd caved in and pressed BUY!

You actually held out longer than I thought you would there. grin

#721173 - 14/08/13 03:12 PM Re: Terry Farley presents Acid Rain [Re: Shooby Taylor]
dlgladwin Offline

To be honest, I caved in before eleven. Is that more like what you were expecting?

#721174 - 14/08/13 03:30 PM Re: Terry Farley presents Acid Rain [Re: dlgladwin]
Shooby Taylor Offline
La Nueva Mostaza

That's more like it.

#721628 - 24/08/13 10:45 AM Re: Terry Farley presents Acid Rain [Re: Shooby Taylor]
dlgladwin Offline

Release date now put back to 26 September...

#723614 - 30/09/13 04:57 PM Re: Terry Farley presents Acid Rain [Re: dlgladwin]
dlgladwin Offline

Originally Posted By: dlgladwin
Release date now put back to 26 September...

My copy has just dispatched! Cost me £41.99 and it's now £54.99.

#723615 - 30/09/13 05:00 PM Re: Terry Farley presents Acid Rain [Re: dlgladwin]
dlgladwin Offline

...and apparently Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Push-Deluxe-Edition-Bros/dp/B00EYUIPMC/ref=pd_sim_m_h__4

#723616 - 30/09/13 05:02 PM Re: Terry Farley presents Acid Rain [Re: dlgladwin]
Shooby Taylor Offline
La Nueva Mostaza

It wasn't me!

#723618 - 30/09/13 05:07 PM Re: Terry Farley presents Acid Rain [Re: Shooby Taylor]
dlgladwin Offline

Originally Posted By: Shooby Taylor
It wasn't me!

We know. You spent all your coin on that David Forman album. So it must have been someone else.

Anything you're not telling us, Gotters?

#723619 - 30/09/13 05:16 PM Re: Terry Farley presents Acid Rain [Re: dlgladwin]
Shooby Taylor Offline
La Nueva Mostaza

#723620 - 30/09/13 07:09 PM Re: Terry Farley presents Acid Rain [Re: dlgladwin]
gottenbold Offline
thinks kasabian are sexy

Loc: Hudds, West Coast Riding
Matt had a great voice, and Craig was one of the finest headless bassists ever.

Freewheeling Sophisticated Gentle Intimate Smooth Laid-Back/Mellow Restrained Elegant Refined Reserved Relaxed Soothing Stylish

#723622 - 30/09/13 07:15 PM Re: Terry Farley presents Acid Rain [Re: gottenbold]
dlgladwin Offline

Originally Posted By: gottenbold
Matt had a great voice, and Craig was one of the finest headless bassists ever.

He did have a head! I've seen pictures.

#723623 - 30/09/13 07:17 PM Re: Terry Farley presents Acid Rain [Re: dlgladwin]
dlgladwin Offline

Anyhow, I must have read the date on that Amazon email wrong, because my TraxBox was waiting for me at home!

Now that's what I call a Monday mood-lifter. Almost daren't open it yet, in case it stops me doing any work tonight.

Must...resist...

#723640 - 30/09/13 09:03 PM Re: Terry Farley presents Acid Rain [Re: dlgladwin]
Shooby Taylor Offline
La Nueva Mostaza

Good luck with that. smile

#723650 - 01/10/13 08:35 AM Re: Terry Farley presents Acid Rain [Re: Shooby Taylor]
dlgladwin Offline

Managed it! Box still in the cellophane at home!

#724118 - 07/10/13 12:08 PM Re: Terry Farley presents Acid Rain [Re: dlgladwin]
dlgladwin Offline

Working my way through the Traxbox in the car, but just spotted another tempting collection. Only two discs this time:

CD1
01 Razz Feat. Matt Warren & Ralphi Rosario - Kill Yourself Dancing
02 Modern Mechanical Music - Persia
03 Master Plan - Electric Baile (Commercial Mix)
04 White Knight - It Could Be Acid
05 Ben Mays - Jail Bait
06 Hex Complexx - I Want You - Suite - The Dash Riprock Mix
07 Michaelangelo - You Can Do It
08 White Knight - White Knight Jacks Club Mix
09 Razz Feat. Matt Warren & Ralphi Rosario - Razz-Matazz
10 Boom Boom & Master Plan - Face The Music Club Mix
11 - Razz Feat. Matt Warren & Ralphi Rosario - Pump It Up

CD2
01 Matt Warren - The Way To My Heart Club Mix
02 Kajsa - Try Try Again House Mix
03 White Knight - Demons A Mix 4U
04 Modern Mechanical Music - Doo Doo Da
05 Razz Feat. Matt Warren & Ralphi Rosario - Say It
06 Boom Boom & Master Plan - Face the Music Dub Mix
07 White Knight - Yo Baby Yo Mix 1
08 Master Plan - Electric Baile (Large Dub)
09 White Knight - Acid Dub
10 Matt Warren - Rock The Nation Remixed By Kenny Jason (Bonus Track)

#724119 - 07/10/13 12:33 PM Re: Terry Farley presents Acid Rain [Re: dlgladwin]
Shooby Taylor Offline
La Nueva Mostaza

Blimey, I've always liked a bit of acid, but I've never heard of a single name on that ^

Gladders I hope you're Jacking to all this acid house, not just sitting there nodding your head. laugh

#724121 - 07/10/13 12:43 PM Re: Terry Farley presents Acid Rain [Re: Shooby Taylor]
dlgladwin Offline

Like I said waaaaay back up there ^ somewhere, it's not all Acieed - a lot is pretty straight (and often vocal) House. But yes, I've been giving it big fish, little fish as I've grooved around the road network since the Acid Rain box first came out. That 5CD set is still the one I'd recommend, because the only thing wrong with it is the title - like I said, it's by no means wiggly fidgety acid all the way.

Still to come at home is the awful task of going through all my old House compilations to see which are now redundant, and which I can justify keeping because of sweet exclusive tracks.

#724123 - 07/10/13 12:45 PM Re: Terry Farley presents Acid Rain [Re: Shooby Taylor]
dlgladwin Offline

Originally Posted By: Shooby Taylor
Blimey, I've always liked a bit of acid, but I've never heard of a single name on that ^

You must have heard of Ralphi Rosario!

You Used to Hold Me

#724134 - 07/10/13 03:29 PM Re: Terry Farley presents Acid Rain [Re: dlgladwin]
Shooby Taylor Offline
La Nueva Mostaza

I know that track but I had no idea who did it! I find it harder to remember the names of dance artists/producers for some reason, possibly because there's often no face to put with it.

#724137 - 07/10/13 03:35 PM Re: Terry Farley presents Acid Rain [Re: Shooby Taylor]
dlgladwin Offline

Here's a face for you!

#724138 - 07/10/13 03:37 PM Re: Terry Farley presents Acid Rain [Re: dlgladwin]
dlgladwin Offline

...and another: vocals on You Used To Hold Me were by Xaviera Gold.

#724147 - 07/10/13 04:52 PM Re: Terry Farley presents Acid Rain [Re: dlgladwin]
Shooby Taylor Offline
La Nueva Mostaza

Thanks Dl, I'll never forget whatshisname again!

#727234 - 25/11/13 03:44 PM Re: Terry Farley presents Acid Rain [Re: Shooby Taylor]
dlgladwin Offline

The 16-disc Traxbox is now on Spotify!

Moderator:  Andrew_Male, deesylad, MOJO4music