Mojo
Topic Options
#697313 - 17/11/12 07:32 PM Record shops, the 80s, Hanway Street, London.
mamaloochie Offline
Beards so ginger I gotta wear shades

Loc: Madrid
For research purposes, can anyone clarify here?

Back in the 1980s, the record shops on Hanway Street were Vinyl Experience at the first corner after Tottenham Court Road, then Luigi and the Boys and then another.

1. What was that other called? Was it JB's even then?
2. Were there two others?
3. Was there a pub called the Blue Posts on the corner of Hanway Street and TCR, or have I gone completely mad? No sign of it on a google search.
4. Anybody got a photo of the east end of Hanway street - the entrance from TCR - from the 80s?

It's not for anything ground-breaking, but I'd like to know ...

#697337 - 18/11/12 12:18 PM Re: Record shops, the 80s, Hanway Street, London. [Re: mamaloochie]
Fingerprince Offline
stinky pinkies

Loc: Arse End, N19
There's On The Beat that's still there. Soho Records?

I remember the boozer on the corner too, it was demolished sometime in the mid-Nineties. I do believe it was indeed called The Blue Posts (not to be confused with the three other Blue Posts in the vicinity) It was a hang out for rock fans before heading off to an Astoria/100Club gig or a pre-drink to build up the courage to by that expensive Gibson in the window in a Denmark St guitar emporium. It was a poky little place that looked like a wooden Swiss cottage, if I recall.
I'm surprised 'arry hasn't cleared all this up.

#697415 - 19/11/12 03:13 PM Re: Record shops, the 80s, Hanway Street, London. [Re: mamaloochie]
'arry Krishner Offline
With the bip-bip-boom-boom

Loc: King's †
Not much to clear up there, Fingers.

Vinyl Experience (the 'Microstore') and Soho Records were one and the same. Soho Records was the erstwhile label of Stan Brennan and Phil Gaston, set up for the first purpose of releasing singles by Shanne Bradley and Shane McGowan's band The Nipple Erectors - latterly The Nips. The label also released early Inmates stuff.

Bit of a complex story behind Vinyl Experience, another thread, maybe.

Luigi and The Boys, check.

JB's, check.

Blue Posts, check. I never knew why that place hadn't ever burned to the ground, built of wood, as Fingers correctly recalls.

I occasionally worked in Luigi's and in their other shop in Marlboro Court, between Carnaby St. and Newburgh St. which is now corporate label jeans shop 'Diesel Male'.

#697448 - 19/11/12 10:51 PM Re: Record shops, the 80s, Hanway Street, London. [Re: mamaloochie]
mamaloochie Offline

Thanks 'arry. I look at photos of "On the Beat" and don't remember it at all, or JBs. One of them must have been the one I went into rarely (compared to the many visits to Luigi and Vinyl) because it was a bit more expensive. I seem to remember that back in about 1987 it had a Sonics LP on the wall for 85 quid. Or is that impossible? Luigi and The Boys promised that at their Marboro Court branch they had a four LP Dion and the Belmonts box for 9 quid, if I could get there on the Saturday (this would be about 1982). When I got there, it 'turned out' there were only 3 LPs and also was actually 12, not 9 quid: anyone would have done the same to a desperate 20 year old.

I think the reason the Blue Posts didn't burn down is that everything that wasn't wood was spongy and damp. And so was the wood.

I was on the TCR in July, so I shouldn't be shocked at how much that entrance has changed (looking on google maps), but I wasn't really looking then ... It's all just mobile phone shops.

#697459 - 20/11/12 02:01 AM Re: Record shops, the 80s, Hanway Street, London. [Re: mamaloochie]
'arry Krishner Offline
With the bip-bip-boom-boom

Loc: King's †
That was typical Luigis behaviour. I never got the impression either of those two fools were remotely interested in records or music. I think I last did a shift there in the late Summer of 1979. I can't even remember their names. I remember one of the lads regularly visiting West Coast USA and coming back with cases full of rubbish singles. I don't know how he carried them, I couldn't.

#697470 - 20/11/12 08:57 AM Re: Record shops, the 80s, Hanway Street, London. [Re: 'arry Krishner]
mamaloochie Offline

Originally Posted By: 'arry Krishner
I remember one of the lads regularly visiting West Coast USA and coming back with cases full of rubbish singles. I don't know how he carried them, I couldn't.

He might have rolled them along the ground in front of him like hoops.

No, you're right. Unlikely.

Moderator:  Andrew_Male, deesylad, MOJO4music